Don’t miss This Whitworth Life put on by our very own Nicole Sheets and her EL 347 Creative Nonfiction Writing! This storytelling event will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 6, in the HUB’s Multipurpose Room.
Nine members from various facets of the Whitworth community, including the legendary Leonard Oakland, will read five to eight minute stories about a defining moment in their lives. Following each story, a panel of faculty members will provide commentary.
“My hope is that this storytelling event will add to Whitworth’s already robust sense of community,” Nicole Sheets says. “All of the storytellers have some connection to Whitworth; our cast represents students, faculty, facilities services, campus security, program assistants, administrators, coaches and trustees.”
Story readers will include:
- Casey Armstrong, Whitworth custodian
- Joel Diaz, senior sociology major and Whitworth security officer
- Austin Foglesong, freshman English major
- Mackenna Kuehl, senior English major
- Leonard Oakland, Whitworth professor of English
- Ken Roberts, member of the Whitworth Board of Trustees
- Toby Schwarz, Whitworth professor of kinesiology and athletic coach
- Annie Stillar, program assistant for Whitworth English department
- Kathy Storm, associate provost for Whitworth faculty development
“Stories remind us that everyone’s a complex person, that we’re all storehouses of experience,” Nicole says. “Plus, stories are fun.”
The faculty panel will be comprised of Casey Andrews, Whitworth associate professor of English; Suzette McGonigal, Whitworth counselor; and Raja S. Tanas, Whitworth professor of sociology.